Bonnie Snyder, Ed.S., CPC, Author
Alissa Shoults, Illustrator
Bonnie Snyder, Publisher, Nonfiction, 2013
Suitable for ages: 3-7
Themes: Feelings, Empowerment, Happy hearts, Managing challenges, Inspirational
Opening: “Once upon a time all the children on the earth everywhere remembered something that many grown-ups forgot: Everyone has a happy heart and everyone sparkles from the inside out.”
Synopsis: A delightful book that helps children focus on their happy and yucky feelings, and identify where the feeling is located in their body –heart, tummy, head or back. The author shows children and parents healthy ways to bond through conversation, mindfulness, and exercises that include visualization and gratitude.
Why I like this book:
- Bonnie Snyder has written a soothing and empowering book to help children talk about their feelings. There is a lovely story on the right side of each double-page spread that helps children easily identify a positive and happy feeling, or a sad and angry feeling.
- On the left side of the page are questions and suggestions for parents to help them start a conversation with their child about their day. For example: What felt happy in your heart today? (younger child) What were three happy things in your day today? (older) What are the three most favorite things about your day today? (older)
- Angel Violet’s Magic Wings is a lovely resource for parents, grandparents and caregivers. It is a book filled with exercises and visualization techniques that can be taught to children, who will hopefully feel the benefits.
- It also helps children cultivate a feeling of gratitude and thankfulness.
- Alisa Shoults illustrations are in soothing colors of blue, violet, pink and green. They are childlike and whimsical and fit the tone of the book.
Resources: The book is a resource with many tips, activities, visualizations and exercises to use with a child. Adults will also benefit from reading the book. Check out the website for Angel Violet’s Magic Wings.